Sunday, December 11, 2011

Life is Good!


What is the best and/or worst thing about your life right now?

When I was kid I had very little idea of what I “want to be when I grow up”.  When I was in college I changed my major four times (engineering, journalism, business, political science).  When I was thirty, I still didn’t know what exactly I wanted to do with my life and I was starting to think I never would.  After all that indecision, at forty-something I can clearly say what I want to be when I grow up, and better yet, I’m living it!   

On the career side of my life, I’ve managed to fit myself into a job I love .. as an accountant of all things!   Never once did I consider THAT when I was younger.  I work with nonprofits and I love being able to put their financial affairs in order for them so that they can focus on their very worthwhile missions.  Better yet, I’m blessed to be able to work part time thanks to an accommodating office and husband.  In another couple of years I’ll probably ratchet up to full time, but for now I have the time to balance my career with my family.

On the personal side, I’ve lived through the all-consuming years of raising children and I’ve come out the other side.   Twelve years ago every outing required careful planning with nap schedules, meal times, or babysitters.   Even a trip to buy gas required preparation, herding, and Barney songs on the car stereo.  Oh, and patience.  Now I get the joy of going where I want, when I want (oh the sweet freedom!)  Our teenagers have busy lives and my husband and I frequently find ourselves Home Alone, another oddity in the post-baby world that we are thoroughly enjoying.   

I love to watch my kids from the sidelines as they go about their lives.   Every achievement they make feels like a little reward to me for everything I poured into them when they were young.  I’m in a sweet spot right now.  They’re old enough to run their own lives with limited supervision, they are mature enough to handle life’s difficulties with tantrums or ugliness, and they still live at home where I can enjoy spending time with them.  

Joe and I just celebrated our Twentieth Wedding anniversary.  Some of those years were very difficult, but we persevered and like our kids we’ve now got the maturity to handle life’s difficulties.  I’m blessed to have a partner who understands who I am, knows what I’m thinking, cracks me up on a regular basis, and has similar lifelong goals.  I like sharing my life with my best friend.

And as for the fun stuff .. we’re well enough established that we can do the things we want to do.  For us, that frequently means travel.  In October we spent a long weekend in New York City.  In December I took my daughter to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.  And for next summer, we’re looking at family vacation at a beach resort in Bali.

Well, that’s the good stuff.  Sure there’s bad stuff, but it all seems so minor when you count your blessings.     

No comments:

Post a Comment