Thursday, December 2, 2010

Reverb 10 - Writing

December 2 Writing.
What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it?
(Author: Leo Babauta)

The biggest thing that keeps me from writing each day is that I’ve never made it a goal. It’s been out there as a kind of puffy cloud, pretty and appealing, but off in the distance.

The only writing I’ve done in the last 10 years is of the personal journal variety and I’m never happy to read it. When I write I tend to focus on either depressing things or big nebulous ideas that sound whiny when I read them back to myself. Since I was a whiner as a child, the last thing I want to be as an adult is a whiner. Wendy Whiner. We’re seldom kind to ourselves about the faults we’ve conquered.

I’ve also been concerned about writing publicly. Frankly I’d be happy if nobody will ever read what I write and I don’t like the feeling that it’s all out there. What will people think? Does what I write really reflect my true self? Who will use it against me? At the same time, it feels like exhibitionism of my thoughts and exhibitionism is a little exciting in its own way.

On the broader topic of what do I do each day…

  • I work. I work to keep my sanity and to get out of the house. I work because I like the missions of my clients. I work to tackle challenges. I work because my brain needs the logical stimulation.
  • I manage a household. Cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping, doctors appointments, appliance repairs. It is downright amazing how much time these things absorb for a family of five.
  • I support my kids. Practices, meets, concerts, tournaments, homework. Sometimes it gets over whelming, but I wouldn’t miss it for the world. These are the most important people in my life and I relish every moment I spend with them and every minute I get to watch them reach for their own dreams.
  • I spend time with friends. Lunches, shopping trips, walks at the lake. These times fill my soul, inspire me to try new things, and add meaning to my life.

The writing prompt assumes I wish I was writing every day. Well, for this month, that’s true. Who knows where it will lead?

No comments:

Post a Comment